One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A simple, usually washable, dress suitable for wearing while doing housework.
- ‘But I had learnt from a young age that travelling around the state in mules with little ribbons stuck to them and a cotton housedress was a painful and cold trek.’
- ‘And I'm not ready to wear elastic waistband polyester pants or shapeless granny housedresses.’
- ‘She was still wearing a housedress like the one Molly would usually see her in, but her hair was messier and she looked distressed.’
- ‘My housedress is all open and the baby makes a hump.’
- ‘He knew where my mother kept her nightgowns, her housedresses and especially… her underwear.’
- ‘An officer and a woman in a pretty housedress walked out and met the small family.’
- ‘In one hand she's holding her shoes, pink-colored pumps against her blue housedress.’
- ‘At breakfast, Cate came into the dining room wearing a casual housedress, but Genevieve was already dressed in all of her splendor.’
- ‘She had blonde curls that hung around her slightly plump face, and she wore a common housedress and apron over it.’
- ‘At the kitchen door, I turned once again to look at her in her blue housedress.’
- ‘A fat black woman in a faded housedress glanced at him with glazed disinterest.’
- ‘Tell that to Anne and her pretty green housedress.’
- ‘And there is a whiff of ironic retro cool in wearing a rebuilt 1950s housedress or baking pink cupcakes from scratch.’
- ‘Sitting still in a chair was a gray-haired woman in a faded housedress who resisted the viewer's gaze.’
- ‘She would add feather stitch embroidery to the neckline of the plain housedresses she bought.’
- ‘She exhaled deeply and then changed into a green housedress.’
- ‘When she came to write her numbers she put on a starched print housedress and brushed her hair until it was slick and shiny.’
- ‘She walked all the way back to her room and dressed into one of her housedresses, since it would be more comfortable that way.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.