One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A boat which is or can be moored for use as a dwelling.
- ‘Since then, the federal government has confined its interests to propeller hazards on houseboats and nonplaning vessels.’
- ‘Some 1,650 houseboats subject to the recall were over the five-year limit and not required to be fixed under current rules, although some manufacturers have done so.’
- ‘They range from houseboats to 25-foot deep sea fishing boats and 42-foot sailboats.’
- ‘But we also want people who own houseboats to look at their own boats.’
- ‘One by one, other houseboats come into view and join our convoy astern.’
- ‘The bizarre drama happened in February on the banks of the Thames near Windsor, where the one-time friends both moored their houseboats.’
- ‘Another preventative measure has been warning labels and transom placards, particularly on rental houseboats commonly used by less experienced boaters.’
- ‘I'd like to point out that there is an associated problem: mooring of houseboats in marinas that have habitable buildings located close to the boat slips.’
- ‘I was living on a houseboat, moored in the middle of a perfect mountain lake.’
- ‘However, due to the severity of the swollen river, they have not yet been able to return home to their houseboat, which is moored at Fulford.’
- ‘But what galvanized education and research efforts to a more urgent level was the discovery in 2000 that many houseboats were built with a fatal flaw.’
- ‘The U.S. Coast Guard is recalling certain models of houseboats that are built with an air cavity underneath the swim platform and transom in the wake of a series of deaths from carbon monoxide poisoning.’
- ‘Live-aboard houseboats with small boats plunge deep upstream from immense river-mouths into heart-stopping scenery where new species of fish are being discovered at a prodigious rate.’
- ‘It's home to about 2,000 houseboats, nearly 400 of them in a rental fleet and the rest privately owned, many in joint ownership.’
- ‘The government should act just as swiftly, if not more so, to warn the boating public of the threat of carbon monoxide poisoning aboard motorboats of all types, not just houseboats.’
- ‘Shasta Lake, the largest man-made lake in the state, has more shoreline than San Francisco Bay and is home to a large fleet of houseboats.’
- ‘This problem may not be confined to houseboats since any boat with the generator exhaust located between the transom and a swim platform could present the same lethal hazard.’
- ‘A MAN who drove his private motor boat so fast along the Thames that houseboats in Isleworth were rocked by large waves has been formally cautioned by the Port of London Authority.’
- ‘A single roadside store caters to the affluent on their way to their houseboats moored at Miles, where one can also play electronic slots on the Spokane Indian Reservation adjacent.’
- ‘Here a fleet of sedate houseboats lies moored in permanent residence.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.