One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A company's preferred manner of presentation and layout of written material.‘the document will automatically be set out according to the house style’
- ‘I read enough stuff from this publisher to think that this isn't a house style.’
- ‘Bibliographies ordered according to surname take many forms, according to rules laid down by academic and other institutions, practices favoured in publishers' house styles, or authors' preferences.’
- ‘Here the author examines the numerous aspects linked to the appearance of a page, collaborative writing, drafting, editing, house styles and language choice.’
- ‘The journal was clearly not, however, in the business of shaping a specific program or, apart from a preference for accessible language, a house style.’
- ‘I then had a computing course, which was not that fun as we were amending things from house styles.’
- ‘Although highly paid, directors were expected to stick strictly to an impersonal house style.’
- ‘The house style was developed collaboratively with all the BBC Creative Partners, including BBC Broadcast & Presentation.’
- ‘‘So to say’ isn't in the newspaper's house style is it?’
- ‘I've never wanted to have a house style per se, I've never wanted to do books in a series where everything looks the same and is in a regular format.’
- ‘How did you balance a sense of wanting to fly freer and that constricted world in which you found yourself, I mean if you like the house style world in which you lived?’
- ‘Even such unusual figures as two of his heroes mostly write in the house style of their profession.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.