One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The lower house of the colonial Virginia legislature.
- ‘From 1759 to the outbreak of the American Revolution, Washington managed his lands around Mount Vernon and served in the Virginia House of Burgesses.’
- ‘Its House of Assembly, which began meeting in 1639, is the third-oldest legislative body in the Western Hemisphere, preceded only by Bermuda's legislature and the Virginia House of Burgesses.’
- ‘A greater reverence was held for George Washington, who had many ties to Alexandria and represented it in the Virginia House of Burgesses before the Revolution.’
- ‘Patrick Henry won a seat to Virginia's House of Burgesses in 1765, the same year that Britain levied the Stamp Tax on her colonies.’
- ‘Not until 1631 did the House of Burgesses create marriage licenses.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.