One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The lower house of the colonial Virginia legislature.
- ‘Patrick Henry won a seat to Virginia's House of Burgesses in 1765, the same year that Britain levied the Stamp Tax on her colonies.’
- ‘From 1759 to the outbreak of the American Revolution, Washington managed his lands around Mount Vernon and served in the Virginia House of Burgesses.’
- ‘Its House of Assembly, which began meeting in 1639, is the third-oldest legislative body in the Western Hemisphere, preceded only by Bermuda's legislature and the Virginia House of Burgesses.’
- ‘Not until 1631 did the House of Burgesses create marriage licenses.’
- ‘A greater reverence was held for George Washington, who had many ties to Alexandria and represented it in the Virginia House of Burgesses before the Revolution.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.