One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A flag indicating the company that a ship belongs to.
- ‘The house flag is a point of pride for the crew and a distinguishing characteristic for the ship.’
- ‘The website disclaimer says that most of the companies whose house flags are shown there are gone out of business.’
- ‘The National Maritime Museum has over 1000 flags including two large collections of house flags, used to identify shipping lines, or owners of vessels.’
- ‘Within New Zealand, the New Zealand Flag takes precedence over all other national flags and house flags.’
- ‘In 1935 she was bought by ‘the flying bug line ‘, the Alexander Shipping Line, which used a busy bee on its blue house flag.’’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.