One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A flag indicating the company that a ship belongs to.
- ‘In 1935 she was bought by ‘the flying bug line ‘, the Alexander Shipping Line, which used a busy bee on its blue house flag.’’
- ‘The house flag is a point of pride for the crew and a distinguishing characteristic for the ship.’
- ‘The National Maritime Museum has over 1000 flags including two large collections of house flags, used to identify shipping lines, or owners of vessels.’
- ‘The website disclaimer says that most of the companies whose house flags are shown there are gone out of business.’
- ‘Within New Zealand, the New Zealand Flag takes precedence over all other national flags and house flags.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.