One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Live in and look after a house while its owner is away.
- ‘I just saw a flyer posted at the law school; a recent law school graduate is looking for a house to house-sit.’
- ‘Kirk house-sits for them but is distracted by his pretty new girlfriend.’
- ‘His neighbour goes on holiday, and Danielle shows up to house-sit.’
- ‘I do go away a lot and have invited various people to house-sit and look after the cat.’
- ‘I'd go back in the summers and house-sit for a family, and I'd work at Battleground Country Club cleaning clubs, helping around the shop, putting bags on carts.’
- ‘I was going to house-sit for her when she went out of town, so she was showing me where the bird food was, etc.’
- ‘They may be more keen to organise the insurances or holidays for themselves, but they sure as heck need us to clean, iron and house-sit.’
- ‘We talked about Rosie's job and how she's coming down to London for a week to unwind a little after organising her move - and also to house-sit for us while we're away.’
- ‘But, by a quirk of fate, she had agreed to house-sit for a friend in the north of the Caribbean island and, although the roof was blown off, they were unhurt.’
- ‘Have someone you trust watch your home or apartment, or house-sit while you are away.’
- ‘When there's absolutely no one at home, Papa house-sits for us, since he lives right down the hall, which would be the reason why I called him.’
- ‘Letters and gifts abound while Angélique house-sits for the summer and pursues an Art scholarship.’
- ‘When they hired someone to house-sit, they meant business.’
- ‘Why don't you phone your Ma and get her to house-sit?’
- ‘Our children no longer live in Thailand, so we have nobody to house-sit for us.’
- ‘The boys are in their rooms and Michelle has been house-sitting for a friend this past week.’
- ‘The couple originally came from Scotland and had only come to the Selby area to house-sit for the complainant's parents.’
- ‘When I was a kid my family used to spend occasional summer weeks in London, house-sitting for some friends.’
- ‘I had totally forgotten about this, but my neighbors asked me to house-sit this weekend.’
- ‘Corrie had opted to go with Ryder to the supermarket while Harry remained behind to house-sit.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.