One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of food or drink) made or produced by the establishment in which it is sold, rather than by an external supplier.‘specialties include house-made sausage and hamburger made with grass-fed beef’‘we tried some incredible house-made limoncello infused with rhubarb’
- ‘We also gave high marks to the house-made liverwurst accompanied by horseradish mustard.’
- ‘At dessert time, choose the house-made gelato.’
- ‘The poached pear is very nice, as is the house-made tiramisu when it is fresh.’
- ‘We also loved the house-made cannoli ($6), three miniatures with chocolate, caramel and pistachio ricotta fillings.’
- ‘The house-made flavored vodkas are another highlight, changing with the seasons.’
- ‘Dolich makes his franks from pork and beef, and serves them on brioche buns baked by pastry chef and chef de cuisine Ellen Jackson, with house-made ketchup alongside.’
- ‘In addition to hot buttered rum, Oliver's makes a hot buttered brandy with house-made batter.’
- ‘An offbeat purée of smoked eggplant and fennel is haunting stuff, to be eaten on crackly house-made croutons.’
- ‘For dessert, we eat a superb house-made dark chocolate ganache cake ($6.50).’
- ‘And why not have your Red Rockets ($4.95) with house-made onion rings ($3.95)?’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.