One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A beautiful young woman, especially one of the virgin companions of the faithful in the Muslim Paradise.
- ‘According to the Qu'ran, the houris have never been touched by man or jinn.’
- ‘They could select 70 of their nearest and dearest to enter Heaven; and they would have at their disposal 72 houris, the beautiful virgins of paradise, Hassan recounted in the New Yorker.’
- ‘As they bend their wills and stretch their bodies, undulating houris observe them; the music score essays Arabic themes.’
- ‘In the gardens of paradise, the houris utter only one word: ‘Peace, peace.'’
- ‘It is the job of a houri to climb or fly because ordinarily mundane girls or woman hardly climb over the trees.’
Mid 18th century: from French, from Persian ḥūrī, from Arabic ḥūr, plural of 'aḥwar ‘having eyes with a marked contrast of black and white’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.