One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A voodoo priest.
- ‘Hex pretends to be a houngan, but he's actually an Arawak.’
- ‘I've been very interested to know more about the bokor, but most of what I've read has been by anthropologist-types or mainstream houngans / mambos, who look on them with distaste and fear.’
- ‘There are also bush priests who read specific Catholic prayers at funerals and other ceremonial occasions, and hounsi, initiated females who serve as ceremonial assistants to the houngan or manbo.’
- ‘A houngan who remembers Maya explains that we are shadows cast by God.’
- ‘When he has nothing and wants prosperity he goes to a houngan and says, ‘I have nothing and I am disposed to do anything to have money’’.’
Early 20th century: from Fon, from hun, a deity represented by a fetish, + ga ‘chief’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.