One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A large checked pattern with notched corners suggestive of a canine tooth, typically used in cloth for jackets and suits.
- ‘Maybe mixing houndstooth and baseball caps does work, after all.’
- ‘Look for: menswear-inspired fabrics such as tweed or houndstooth.’
- ‘His distinctive creations were an immediate success, particularly a dress called Cafe Anglais, in houndstooth with a petticoat edging.’
- ‘She hit the mark with her houndstooth fit-and-flare skirts, often paired with waist-defining corset bustiers.’
- ‘Squares and tartans, tweed, herringbone, and houndstooth along with other graphical and optical patterns abound.’
- ‘Herringbone, pinstripe and houndstooth are everywhere too, adding a classic look to the winter collection which is expected in the shops this month.’
- ‘He usually wore a houndstooth jacket and a thin tie.’
- ‘Moore, a seventy-nine-year-old with clear blue eyes and bushy eyebrows, wears houndstooth blazers and leans on an ivory-handled cane.’
- ‘Dressed in a black turtleneck sweater, houndstooth pants, and black loafers, he fills a styrofoam cup with coffee and walks to the head of the long conference table.’
- ‘I'm not referring to Hawaiian prints and palm trees on your shirt, but I am talking about checks, windowpane, houndstooth, or pinstripes.’
- ‘Different fabrics and textures, such as tweed with satin, fur trim with wool flannel or bold stripes and a small houndstooth pattern, will satisfy your eclectic character.’
- ‘The men there are in bolder than bold houndstooths and outsize checks that, even though they are being modelled by a boy from Adrossan, wouldn't be worn on a night out on the Clyde coast.’
- ‘Next door on the wall of Pate's office is an etching of University of Alabama football legend Paul Bryant, wearing his trademark houndstooth hat.’
- ‘I bought a houndstooth jumper for a lot of money.’
- ‘Dogstooth and the larger houndstooth check, both old favourites, will add a subtle, acceptable change to the dominant black and cream looks of more strident or aggressive bold op art and art deco prints.’
- ‘They are also more casual in style: one is a blue and white tiny houndstooth pattern, the other is pink.’
- ‘Now, wearing a sporty yellow-and-black houndstooth jacket and a conservative tie, he was finally sitting across from Holliday.’
- ‘While bright color and multicolored nubs and slubs enlivened the tweeds, the houndstooth wovens were often found in black and white.’
- ‘He was wearing a houndstooth cap, a perfectly smooth, black, weatherproof jacket and very blue blue jeans, with cargo pockets.’
- ‘The skirt is a houndstooth print with black leather trim and a fringe at the hem.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.