One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A tall plant of the borage family that has a mousy smell and bears long silky hairs, small purplish flowers, and tongue-shaped leaves.
Cynoglossum officinale, family Boraginaceae
- ‘In case you are not familiar with hound's tongue, please get familiar with it and watch for large populations.’
- ‘Like blue hound's tongue, this plant has burrs that attach to cattle, causing irritation.’
- ‘The large nutrient reserves in seeds of hound's tongue allow rapid seedling root growth.’
- ‘Hound's Tongue is so named because of its broadly oval leaves which apparently look like hound's tongues.’
- ‘Great hound's tongue may be found from southern British Columbia south to San Luis Obispo and Tulare counties, Californa.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.