Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Any of several varieties of pungent pepper used dried or chopped as a condiment.
- ‘Chop hot pepper and place in small bowl and drizzle olive oil over.’
- ‘The Greek salad combines rough chunks of tomato, cucumbers, red and green peppers, a triangle of feta and a hot pepper for a mild but refreshing result.’
- ‘I also freeze zucchini (grated up for sweet bread), green peppers and hot peppers.’
- ‘Pungent taste dominates such foods as hot peppers and chilies.’
- ‘Do not use really hot pepper, as my red hot pepper from the States would turn this chicken into a raging fire.’
- ‘When I eat certain hot peppers like jalapenos or crushed red pepper, the top of my head starts to sweat.’
- ‘To enhance this effect further, it is worth getting frisky with the cayenne pepper and spicing up meals with hot peppers and chillies.’
- ‘And as hot pepper popularity is growing constantly, the varieties just keep expanding.’
- ‘Stir in rice, tomatoes, corn, salt, pepper, Worcestershire sauce and hot pepper sauce.’
- ‘There's also a freezer full of such frozen goods as okra, cut pigs' feet, snails, jute leaves, hot peppers, red snapper, and hard chicken.’
- ‘Abstract Capsaicin, the pungent ingredient of hot peppers, has long been used to identify nociceptors.’
- ‘Add another blast of pepper on top (or garnish with hot pepper rings, jalapeño rings or lemon slices if you don't like spiciness).’
- ‘The fiery local hot peppers may kill the local intestinal parasites before they start trying to kill you.’
- ‘Squeeze a wedge of lime on top, and if you're brave, add a few of the painfully hot peppers served on the side.’
- ‘Sliced onion, hot peppers, and chopped coriander are then added.’
- ‘I was inspired by the photograph of Gingered Green Beans now in abundance, with chopped pickled ginger and bird's eye hot peppers.’
- ‘I used fresh basil, pungent chives, and a dash of hot pepper flakes in my master recipe.’
- ‘Sometimes it's better to work with just hot sauce instead of hot peppers as it's easier to adjust the heat to taste.’
- ‘These new varieties were created to fill the increasing demand for hot peppers for salsa and traditional culinary fare.’
- ‘A second later, her mother appeared at the other end of the kitchen from the pantry way, carrying some more hot peppers and onions for slicing and chopping.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.