Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[attributive] Denoting a discussion about a favorite sport carried on during the off-season.‘hot-stove speculation’‘these postseason fans—known as the hot-stove league—will be in here all winter arguing about the strike zone’
- ‘The hottest happening of a very active hot-stove NBA summer was the Los Angeles Lakers' trade of O'Neal to the Miami Heat for Lamar Odom, Caron Butler, and Brian Grant.’
- ‘We'd debate the notion that football doesn't have a hot-stove season, but thanks to Terrell Owens, no one can deny it has a hot-air season.’
- ‘Well, maybe not so much, but it makes for some fun hot-stove talk as the 2004 inauguration kicks off and as those '08 Iowa caucuses are but a mere 36 months away or so (but who's counting?’
- ‘So, Sean Burroughs for Dewon Brazelton doesn't stoke your hot-stove fire?’
- ‘The authors proved me wrong, as this roadmap of public spaces and history of New York City planning and zoning kept me as enthralled as the Baseball Encyclopedia does during a hot-stove winter conversation.’
- ‘While the Yankees and the Red Sox hogged the hot-stove spotlight, it was the Angels who landed the best free-agent player in Guerrero and the top free-agent pitcher in power righthander Bartolo Colon.’
- ‘SURELY THERE HAVE BEEN more active hot-stove summers in professional basketball.’
- ‘THE NATIONAL LEAGUE MAY NOT HAVE WON THE World Series last year, the Giants coming up short in a seven-game classic with the Angels, but there is little question about which circuit was the busiest in the hot-stove season.’
1950s: by association with discussions conducted around a heater in the winter.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.