Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Stockings, socks, and tights collectively.
stockings, tights, stay-ups, nylonshosesocks, knee socks, ankle sockspantyhoseView synonyms
- ‘A small peek-a-boo open toe shoe looks fine when worn with hosiery.’
- ‘Spandex is used in foundation garments and hosiery.’
- ‘But instead of neatly-folded hosiery, out comes a congealed mass of tightly interwoven tights, socks, bras and assorted accessories.’
- ‘When seamless stockings were developed it changed the future of ladies hosiery forever.’
- ‘If it's winter, it's OK to wear dark hosiery like black tights to stay warm.’
- ‘Aids include shoehorns with an extension handle, devices that help you pull up hosiery, shoes you close with Velcro rather than with shoelaces, and tools that grip buttons and zippers.’
- ‘Ceriso girls just want to have fun in this funky new range of lingerie, sleepwear, hosiery, cosmetics, fragrance and body products.’
- ‘But prevention is, as ever, better than cure, so Gillian advises always drying thoroughly between your toes and, where possible, wearing cotton hosiery.’
- ‘Don't forget spare socks, hosiery and underwear.’
- ‘X-Static has previously been used in socks and hosiery, but this is the first time it's being employed in bodywear.’
- ‘Check out the latest styles in stretch jeans, capris, tops, intimates and hosiery from Just My Size, the plus-size authority.’
- ‘The Juzo is possibly the ugliest piece of hosiery I've ever seen - a thick beige coloured sock that makes me look like I'm wearing old lady wrinkled stockings.’
- ‘Anti-DVT hosiery does work, and can be bought at the chemist.’
- ‘He added that support tights, as opposed to proper compression hosiery, would not be beneficial.’
- ‘The shops that were completely destroyed also included those that sold leather goods, electronic gadgets, fancy products, hosiery, bags and readymade garments.’
- ‘In addition to 360 collections from over 100 leading suppliers of lingerie, swimwear and nightwear, this year's event brings together for the first time a full range of hosiery in the new Legwear Zone.’
- ‘Founded by Robert Pringle in 1815, the company originally sold lingerie and hosiery throughout Europe, the States, Canada and Japan.’
- ‘Currently, soft-tone silver hosiery and socks are popular.’
- ‘Those who reported the symptom were asked whether it had made it impossible to put on hosiery (socks, stockings, or tights).’
- ‘The exhibition also features the usual products such as sarees, crockery, bed linen, cosmetics, hosiery and some imported goods.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.