One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The art or practice of garden cultivation and management.
gardening, floriculture, arboriculture, agriculture, cultivation, cultivation of plants, garden managementView synonyms
- ‘The Government must take immediate steps to protect wildlife on peat bogs and to signal an end to peat use in gardening and horticulture.’
- ‘During the decade and a half I lived in New England, my favorite hobby was horticulture.’
- ‘In horticulture, kiwifruit vines are trained onto pergola or T-bar support structures.’
- ‘Jute has become invaluable, even in areas such as horticulture and gardening.’
- ‘The time has come to encourage our farmers to diversify into areas such as horticulture, floriculture and oilseeds.’
- ‘His interest in gardening led him to study horticulture in both Hobart and Melbourne.’
- ‘Ms Collins has never been able to go into her garden, despite having an NVQ in horticulture.’
- ‘The farmers in these areas continue to rely on agriculture rather than horticulture.’
- ‘Even our resident neighbourhood expert, a woman with a degree in horticulture, was not very useful.’
- ‘Finding alternatives to chemical pesticides in the home and garden and in farming and horticulture is one of the main themes of the meeting.’
- ‘A number of such biocontrol agents are available as commercial formulations for use in agriculture and horticulture.’
- ‘Ornamental horticulture often plays an important role in the conservation of plant species.’
- ‘There is now also plenty of planting land available for the students to learn new skills in horticulture and hard landscaping.’
- ‘I signed up for a Horticultural Science degree thinking it would be mostly horticulture.’
- ‘Hom is very fond of English horticulture and commissioned an English landscape gardener to design his garden.’
- ‘Tom discovered a passion for gardening and gained an NVQ in horticulture.’
- ‘The show will also have sections for agriculture, horticulture, arts and crafts and cookery.’
- ‘Linn attended agricultural school and concentrated on the study of ornamental horticulture.’
- ‘To celebrate its bicentenary it has created seven historical gardens to show how horticulture has evolved over the last 200 years.’
- ‘Will it help Kenya's 500,000 people employed in agriculture, horticulture and its ancillary industries?’
Late 17th century: from Latin hortus ‘garden’, on the pattern of agriculture.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.