One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A raised elongated block of the earth's crust lying between two faults.
- ‘These faults bound horsts, grabens and tilted blocks.’
- ‘The area is characterized by a series of low-relief Jurassic horsts and graben.’
- ‘Thus the Coastal Ranges take on the appearance of an uplifted horst, bounded, particularly to the east, by normal faults.’
- ‘A thinner series of these rocks occurs on top of horsts of Jurassic rocks.’
- ‘The main effect of the orogeny in southeastern Utah was to uplift the Uncompahgre High, a horst composed of Precambrian strata, which is bound on its southwestern flank by a major reverse fault.’
Late 19th century: from German Horst ‘heap’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.