One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The skin of a horse.
- ‘Rusty turned out to be a personable fellow who loved to work horsehide into trusty tools to tote handguns.’
- ‘Honestly, if you gave this kid a pistol and told him not to shoot this stallion, within ten seconds you'd have one horsehide riddled with bullet holes.’
- ‘The survivors built boats out of horsehides and drifted across the mouth of Mobile Bay on their way to the Texas coast where the last of them would eventually wreck.’
- 1.1 Leather made from the skin of a horse.
- ‘Begrudgingly, Rosen offers horsehide to ‘those who have been successfully advertised to.’’
- ‘Contestants fists were wrapped in thick horsehide for maximum impact with minimum knuckle damage.’
- ‘It's also worth speculating on whether horses consent to be ridden, rendered for horsehide / glue or, indeed, eaten.’
- ‘This holster is constructed of premium shell horsehide and holds the weapon close to the body.’
- ‘Crafted from soft, unmolded, undyed horsehide that faces away from the body, and plush natural sheep's wool that faces against, it provides exceptional all-day comfort.’
- ‘Yang Maoyuan commanded attention more quietly - with an enormous ball covered in horsehide and sporting a horse head and tail, and two smaller but equally bloated blue-dyed sheep turning on pedestals.’
- ‘Another badge appears on the front of his horsehide fire-cap.’
- ‘Some swear the best medium is horsehide for its fiber density.’
- ‘The only change in materials for the ball has been a switch from a horsehide cover to cowhide in 1974 because of a shortage of quality horsehide.’
- ‘What sets this rig apart from lesser designs is the rock-solid fit and precise boning that comes from Kramer's use of horsehide.’
- ‘Made from tough, rigid horsehide, this is a very fine piece of gear.’
- ‘We all had our concerns as to whether the horsehide could be carved, but as you can see.’
- ‘I ordered my VM - 2 in black horsehide (no additional cost over conventional cow) with black pants clips to match pleated Docker slacks.’
- ‘While Matt normally sticks with cowhide, horsehide, elephant, shark, and French waxed calf, he also enjoys using contrasting materials and textures in his rigs.’
- ‘These include Kramer Holsters, whose main line is made from horsehide, and Mitch Rosen's Express.’
- ‘It's easy to color, virtually as long-lasting as horsehide - I know of plenty of 50-year-old cowhide holsters still serviceable - but soaks up water like a sponge if unfinished.’
- ‘Neither will I chew tanned horsehide until it becomes soft and pliable for the shoes of a desert scavenger!’
- ‘They were kind enough to send me a box of handy, test-size virgin pieces of horsehide and cowhide, as they came from the tanner.’
- ‘Tony's folks will use cowhide or horsehide, your choice.’
- ‘Gallagher constructs all of his holsters from horsehide, not the typical cowhide.’
2informal A baseball.
- ‘But with the football season winding to a close, fantasy owners' minds have started turning from the gridiron to the diamond, from the pigskin to the horsehide.’
- ‘He walked toward the mound where once Babe Ruth pitched, where Bill Lee ordered the horsehide to stay inside the yard, where Pedro Martinez stuffed the Wild Bull of the Bronx, Don Zimmer.’
- ‘This would no longer be the case if James (now a consultant for the Red Sox) could be convinced to turn his attention away from the horsehide sphere for awhile and produce a new magnum opus, the Bill James Political Abstract.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.