Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A large wasplike sawfly that deposits its eggs inside trees and timber. It has a long egg-laying tube but no sting.Also called woodwasp
- ‘In the home no control is necessary, as the horntails will not reinfest dried or seasoned wood or lumber.’
- ‘It could have been a horntail, which is actually a sawfly.’
- ‘Two or more years are required for the horntails to complete their development.’
- ‘There, the infant ichneumon secretes a paralyzing agent while it proceeds to eat the living horntail from the inside out.’
- ‘There are plenty of images of horntails on the Internet, but very few, if any, of the solid blue-black types.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.