A clearwing moth that resembles a hornet, with larvae that burrow under tree bark.
- ‘Apparently hornet moths are emerging at the moment but I've not seen any on the few poplars I know of round here.’
- ‘The American hornet moth is mostly blackish blue with some brown, orange, or yellow.’
- ‘The hornet moth is a butterfly of the clearwing moths family (Sesiidae).’
- ‘At night we have had hornets buzzing around our outside light, I said to my husband not to worry about them because they were only hornet moths and completely harmless - wrong!’
- ‘Both this and the rather similar hornet moth are now on the wing.’