Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1another term for horned lizard
- ‘Head on down to the Reptile Depot for desert iguanas from Nevada or horned toads from Texas.’
- ‘One sketch was of a remote that looked like a horned toad.’
- ‘She ate the horned toad spitting blood into her eyes, the gila monster leaking venom through her veins, and the prickly pear shooting spears through her tongue.’
- ‘When Pete is turned into a horned toad by the Sirens, well, that's plain weird.’
- ‘The invading ants typically wipe out many species of native insects and can cause food shortages for insect eaters, such as horned toads, and create crises for ant-dispersed plants.’
2A large toad with horn-shaped projections of skin over the eyes, in particular.
horned toad/hôrnd tōd/
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.