One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A Eurasian poppy with grayish-green lobed leaves, large flowers, and a long curved seed capsule.
- ‘On shingle beaches one can sometimes still find yellow horned poppies, and in saltmarsh, common sea lavender and ditander.’
- ‘You may also find yellow horned poppies, crocuses and orchids, depending on the terrain.’
- ‘My last stars of the fall garden are the horned poppies, Glaucium flavum and Glaucium grandiflorum.’
- ‘Its odd common name of horned poppy refers to its almost foot-long curved seed pods that arch as they ripen.’
- ‘Dungeness is good for yellow horned poppies, and Vipers Bugloss, as well as Rosebay Willow Herb, and loads of stonecrops.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.