Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An American lizard that somewhat resembles a toad, with spiny skin and large spines on the head, typically occurring in dry open country.Also called horned toad
- ‘In coastal regions of California, the ant is contributing to a sharp decline in the population of coastal horned lizards.’
- ‘Sea turtles, grizzly bears, piping plovers, flat-tailed horned lizards, manatees and pygmy owls are among the wildlife whose survival has already become more tentative on Norton's watch.’
- ‘The true horned lizard is a reptile not an amphibian.’
- ‘By studying the horned lizards, scientists hope to better understand the complexity of the lizards' habitat, halt their steady decline, and find ways for man and reptile to coexist peacefully.’
- ‘For example, the zebra-tailed lizard typically runs about twice as fast as the horned lizard, despite both species being of similar size.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.