One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A medium to large tropical Old World bird, having a very large curved bill that typically has a large horny or bony casque. The male often seals up the female inside the nest hole.
Family Bucerotidae: several genera and numerous species, e.g., the great Indian hornbill (Buceros bicornis)
- ‘As a result, the hornbill project has to provide young hornbills with human-made nests.’
- ‘The breadfruit trees, cycads and tall hardwoods of that forest hide hornbills, sea eagles and monkeys.’
- ‘Despite the wonders of all these birds, the hornbills - large, black or brown and white, arboreal birds with long, heavy bills - were undoubtedly the highlights of our days.’
- ‘Similar in appearance to ornamental features seen in birds like cassowaries and hornbills, the crest may have been used for display, the study team suggests.’
- ‘The new facility will cater for the rarer bird species, like parrots, raptors, waterfowl, cranes, storks, hornbills, and other selected birds.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.