One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A medium to large tropical Old World bird, having a very large curved bill that typically has a large horny or bony casque. The male often seals up the female inside the nest hole.
Family Bucerotidae: several genera and numerous species, e.g., the great Indian hornbill (Buceros bicornis)
- ‘Similar in appearance to ornamental features seen in birds like cassowaries and hornbills, the crest may have been used for display, the study team suggests.’
- ‘As a result, the hornbill project has to provide young hornbills with human-made nests.’
- ‘Despite the wonders of all these birds, the hornbills - large, black or brown and white, arboreal birds with long, heavy bills - were undoubtedly the highlights of our days.’
- ‘The new facility will cater for the rarer bird species, like parrots, raptors, waterfowl, cranes, storks, hornbills, and other selected birds.’
- ‘The breadfruit trees, cycads and tall hardwoods of that forest hide hornbills, sea eagles and monkeys.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.