One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A mollusk with a long tapering shell, occurring in brackish and marine waters.
Families Potamididae and Cerithidae, class Gastropoda
- ‘Beachcombing is also good for finding horn shells, moonsnails, cockleshells and an occasional sand dollar.’
- ‘The cockle and horn shells they're made from are only found in the Mapoon area and so are the patterns she uses to string them.’
- ‘In turn, horn shells provide food for water birds which filter them from the mud.’
- ‘These beautiful exotic jewellery items are hand-made from natural organic material such as seeds, cowry shells and horn shells.’
- ‘True horn shells, or again, those in the family Potamidae, are primarily found in tropical waters.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.