One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A Romanian or Israeli dance in which the performers form a ring.
- ‘The national dance is the hora, a circle dance performed at festive occasions.’
- ‘The two began to dance a hora in the street, moving to one side, then the other.’
- ‘Festivities lasted an hour and a half, during which tourists picked roses and joined in the traditional hora dance with costumed Bulgarians of all ages.’
- ‘One of the most common and generalized folk dances is the hora (circle dance), danced by men and women holding hands.’
- ‘It's like doing the hora with Mormons, but without any sense of danger.’
Late 19th century: from Romanian horă, Hebrew hōrāh.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.