Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Very active or lively.‘the delis do a hopping lunch business’
teeming, swarming, thronged, overflowing, overrun, bristling, bustling, rife, infested, thick, crowded, packedView synonyms
- ‘As with all Spanish cities, Santander has a hopping nightlife scene.’
- ‘Other late offers include seven nights in a complex near to Ibiza's hopping San Antonio for €389 per person in early September.’
- ‘Your social life will probably be hopping this year, and you're not one to sit around and wait for an invite.’
- ‘Anne Sutherland of The Montreal Gazette says Kangaroo Jack is ‘a hopping good time for the whole family!’’
- ‘By far the funkiest group of all at the march were the anti-globalization protestors and anarchists, who were accompanied by a hopping good percussion band.’
- ‘This story, set in 1961, features several scenes that take place in a large hopping beauty of an alley.’
- ‘Things seems to be hopping everywhere but Cannes, however, where this year's Film Festival was reportedly as fun as Russell Crowe in clown make-up.’
- ‘Despite the remodeling going on in the bar, La Griglia was hopping at midday on Monday.’
- ‘Throughout the night the dance floor was hopping with never a dull moment.’
- ‘However, IN & M UK chief executive Ivan Fallon said the telephone was hopping all day with expressions of interest in the titles.’
- ‘Judging by the hopping weeknight traffic, he's right.’
- ‘I informed Hayden that, even if South Bend was a hopping college town, it was July and a very large portion of the college population would not even be around.’
- ‘It was only ten in the morning but already the place was hopping with activity.’
- ‘The Bay Area is a hopping landscape of free culture.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.