Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A one-handed shot in which a player extends one arm out to the side and over the head toward the basket.
- ‘Just as in a hook shot in basketball, stiffening the wrist will control the ball and throwing softly helps as well.’
- ‘The image of Magic Johnson rolling across the lane and launching a hook shot over Boston's big three is one of the most famous in basketball history.’
- ‘His hook shot is nice, but he needs a better countermove.’
- ‘He has started to use his lefthanded hook shot more often.’
- ‘And that was Erick Dampier on the other end during the same game, backing in for a hook shot and even looking graceful as he made the shot.’
- ‘He missed an easy hook shot and his team lost the game.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.