One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small metal hook and loop used together as a fastener on a garment.
fastener, fastening, catch, clasp, hasp, clip, pin, buckleView synonyms
- ‘Large covered hooks and eyes are commonly used for fur garment closures.’
- ‘In winter months and at church services they wear a black coat which is typically fastened with hooks and eyes rather than with buttons.’
- ‘They were fastened down the front with buttons or with hooks and eyes.’
- ‘And some of that underwear's awfully complicated with all the hooks and eyes.’
- ‘Other pages in your notebook can include: interfacings, stabilizers, elastics, buttons, snaps, hooks and eyes, rulers/measuring tools, pins and adhesives.’
- ‘Jack dressed her carefully, catching each hook and eye together, and then sweeping her hair into the clip, finishing it off with the veil.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.