One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Curved like a hook.‘a hook-shaped claw’
curved, hook-like, aquiline, bent, bowed, angularView synonyms
- ‘Hook-shaped pendants were originally carved from the tooth of the sperm whale.’
- ‘A small, hook-shaped pull bar available that helps you pull the pieces together.’
- ‘A small hook-shaped cutter is pulled through the barrel to remove a tiny amount of metal.’
- ‘He found that their hook-shaped spikes would latch onto loops in fur, hair, or clothing, making them incredibly sticky.’
- ‘She applies curved or even hook-shaped wisps of color, often arranging them to create a sense of flow from top left to bottom right.’
- ‘When you put on a new chain, it would now skip on both wheels because the cog teeth are now hook-shaped and the flanks are spaced too far apart.’
- ‘The Dukes of Whitney were all raven-haired and all had the same prominent forehead and hook-shaped nose.’
- ‘The other alternatives to the sea wall include hook-shaped jetties at suitable places, which traditional fishermen in Tuticorin, who depend on manually operated craft and gear, have found useful.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.