Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A seal with a gray and white blotched coat, found in the Arctic waters of the North Atlantic. The male has a nasal sac that is inflated into a hood during display.
- ‘In the north Atlantic, harp seals and hooded seals, both ice-breeding species, already migrate to the ice edge in summer and currently form a part of the polar bear's diet.’
- ‘Most of the hooded seal population is distributed in the North Atlantic including the waters around the Maritime provinces, Newfoundland, and into the Gulf of St. Lawrence.’
- ‘The Canadian Atlantic coastline hosts some enormous colonies of grey, harp and hooded seals, but this is the notorious site of the much-publicised seal cull by Canadian fishermen.’
- ‘Whereas harp and hooded seals are a vital part of the complex ecosystem of the Northwest Atlantic, and because the seals consume predators of commercial cod stocks, removing the seals might actually inhibit recovery of cod stocks.’
- ‘In many species, the nose has been transformed into a display organ, such as the fleshy knob on the snout of the gharial, the inflatable sac of the hooded seal, and the swollen nasal appendage of the proboscis monkey.’
- ‘In the east Atlantic, strandings of individual hooded seals were recently reported in France and Portugal, far south of their usual range.’
- ‘However, the 84 sightings of hooded seals over three years represent a several-times greater frequency than the 31 sightings previously reported over five years in the northern Gulf of Maine.’
- ‘A comprehensive assessment of the stock has now been conducted and it is estimated to consist of 110,000 hooded seals at the age of one year or older.’
hooded seal/ˈho͝odəd sē(ə)l/
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.