One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person who receives an honor.
- ‘In other words, only 20% of the honorees during the past eight years have been pitchers, despite the fact that pitching is widely considered to be about 35% of the game.’
- ‘This year, the honorees were: Warren Beatty, Ossie Davis & Ruby Dee, Sir Elton John, Dame Joan Sutherland, and John Williams.’
- ‘The honorees were people who used small loans to set up businesses in Afghanistan, Africa, India, and other countries.’
- ‘Nancy Andreasen, M.D., Ph.D., was one of 16 honorees receiving the Presidential National Medal of Science.’
- ‘A coterie of well-heeled community leaders stepped out in high style Wednesday night for the announcement of the Houston Chronicle Best Dressed honorees in the couture salon at Neiman Marcus.’
- ‘Leading the list of honorees was Jack Blanton Sr., who received the Lifetime Hero Award.’
- ‘A Hollywood star, a soul singer, a hip-hop legend and a legendary, president were among an elite group of honorees at the 2004 Trumpet Awards in Atlanta.’
- ‘The act got a big laugh at the annual event, and the bawdy tone spread throughout the evening as honorees and presenters told naughty jokes.’
- ‘Beijing Times noted that she was the first honoree born in China to receive this American honor.’
- ‘It was a great night all around for chairs Randall B. Hale and Scott Galloway and honorees Mary Ann and Bruce Belin.’
- ‘Both were chosen as Lifetime Achievement Award honorees.’
- ‘Attwell's sister Emily Crosswell gave the tribute to the honoree, who received the Ben Taub Humanitarian Award.’
- ‘The pièce de résistance, Brad adds, came when Elton rose to toast the honoree.’
- ‘Dressing in black-tie for the evening was Mayor Bill White, who with his wife Andrea White, hosted the Mayor's Reception for honorees and guests.’
- ‘Before presenting the honorees with their plaques, editor Bonnie Fuller noted that years ago, when the winners had met John F. Kennedy, his advice to them was: ‘Marry a politician.’’
- ‘We welcome the honorees, we welcome their family members and we welcome their friends.’
- ‘During the award ceremony held by the organization yesterday, the honorees shared their bitter-sweet stories of how they manage to excel in school while taking care of their families and themselves.’
- ‘It was an amazing afternoon, in large part because of the achievements of the other honorees - a very high-powered group.’
- ‘Every year, five honorees receive $50,000 each.’
- ‘It said, ‘We would like to have you be one of our honorees this year at Kennedy Center.’’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.