Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A person who receives an honor.
- ‘The honorees were people who used small loans to set up businesses in Afghanistan, Africa, India, and other countries.’
- ‘Before presenting the honorees with their plaques, editor Bonnie Fuller noted that years ago, when the winners had met John F. Kennedy, his advice to them was: ‘Marry a politician.’’
- ‘The act got a big laugh at the annual event, and the bawdy tone spread throughout the evening as honorees and presenters told naughty jokes.’
- ‘It was a great night all around for chairs Randall B. Hale and Scott Galloway and honorees Mary Ann and Bruce Belin.’
- ‘Attwell's sister Emily Crosswell gave the tribute to the honoree, who received the Ben Taub Humanitarian Award.’
- ‘This year, the honorees were: Warren Beatty, Ossie Davis & Ruby Dee, Sir Elton John, Dame Joan Sutherland, and John Williams.’
- ‘Dressing in black-tie for the evening was Mayor Bill White, who with his wife Andrea White, hosted the Mayor's Reception for honorees and guests.’
- ‘Beijing Times noted that she was the first honoree born in China to receive this American honor.’
- ‘The pièce de résistance, Brad adds, came when Elton rose to toast the honoree.’
- ‘We welcome the honorees, we welcome their family members and we welcome their friends.’
- ‘Nancy Andreasen, M.D., Ph.D., was one of 16 honorees receiving the Presidential National Medal of Science.’
- ‘Both were chosen as Lifetime Achievement Award honorees.’
- ‘During the award ceremony held by the organization yesterday, the honorees shared their bitter-sweet stories of how they manage to excel in school while taking care of their families and themselves.’
- ‘It was an amazing afternoon, in large part because of the achievements of the other honorees - a very high-powered group.’
- ‘Leading the list of honorees was Jack Blanton Sr., who received the Lifetime Hero Award.’
- ‘A Hollywood star, a soul singer, a hip-hop legend and a legendary, president were among an elite group of honorees at the 2004 Trumpet Awards in Atlanta.’
- ‘Every year, five honorees receive $50,000 each.’
- ‘It said, ‘We would like to have you be one of our honorees this year at Kennedy Center.’’
- ‘A coterie of well-heeled community leaders stepped out in high style Wednesday night for the announcement of the Houston Chronicle Best Dressed honorees in the couture salon at Neiman Marcus.’
- ‘In other words, only 20% of the honorees during the past eight years have been pitchers, despite the fact that pitching is widely considered to be about 35% of the game.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.