One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
In certain cultures, the killing of a relative, especially a girl or woman, who is perceived to have brought dishonor on the family.
- ‘Forced marriage is very often at the heart of honour crime, according to the head of a national review of honour killing in Britain.’
- ‘A couple suspected of involvement in their daughter's possible ' honour killing ' will be questioned in public this week over the teenager's death.’
- ‘In a recent interview, the police chief running the inquiry said he had not ruled out the possibility of an " honour killing ".’
- ‘And how common is "honor killing" in America?’
- ‘Honour killings are very prevalent there, and the news of an honour killing will spread through the country faster by gossip than by media.’
- ‘A man accused of being involved in the "honour killing" of a young woman has been remanded in custody following a court appearance.’
- ‘He said he had never used the term "honour killing" and was keeping an open mind to all possible motives.’
- ‘Following this "honor killing," the child was sent to an orphanage anyway.’
- ‘She is now living in Australia, and is campaigning against the practice called ' honour killing '.’
- ‘The incident is the fifth example of a so-called honour killing in Jordan this year.’
- ‘Her death prompted speculation she may have been the victim of a so-called " honour killing ".’
- ‘Norma is funnelling most of the royalties from the book towards political efforts to make honor killing a serious crime punishable to the full extent of the law.’
- ‘Queensland detectives want to question controversial author Norma Khouri over her claims a Jordanian woman was a victim of an honour killing.’
- ‘And near Atlanta, police say a father killed his daughter in what's commonly called an honor killing.’
- ‘A Scotland Yard investigation into the extent of honour killing in Britain has identified that forced marriage is very often at the heart of such crimes.’
- ‘Her parents were arrested over the death amid speculation that Shafilea was the victim of an honour killing.’
- ‘She wanted out of an arranged marriage and now authorities say it was an "honor killing."’
- ‘The decision of the parents not to report her missing immediately, however, ignited speculation that she may have been a victim of an honour killing.’
- ‘They have not ruled out the possibility that she was the victim of a so-called honour killing because she had refused to consent to a marriage.’
- ‘The brother and 17-year-old cousin of a young Pakistani woman were jailed for life for her murder in a so-called honour killing.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.