One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A person or thing that honks.
- ‘The glaring lights and the loud noises of the vehicles, the demonic screeches of the honkers and the non-stop blaring of the speakers at the canteen made sleep impossible.’
- ‘As a result, police recently materialised on Clinton Street and began handing out tickets to honkers.’
- ‘There were no people who were loud and annoying; there were no cars honking their honkers; and most of all, no brothers who read your diaries.’
- 1.1North American informal A wild goose.
- ‘It's the time of the year when you'd normally be hearing the call of honkers overhead.’
- ‘There are still some honkers feeding in fresh cut corn, but most ducks have headed south.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.