One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Any of a number of long-billed birds which feed on nectar, especially (in South Africa) a sunbird.
- ‘I really miss southern summers, cold sweet tea, and the smell of honeysuckers.’
- ‘It is an ornithologist's dream come true with an abundance of parrots, rosellas, honeysuckers, finches and nightbirds.’
- ‘A daring honeysucker lands on the table next to us and meticulously removes each leftover crumb of bread.’
- ‘Be kind to the trees and they will bloom into flower for you and attract a flock of honeysuckers and a swarm of bees.’
- ‘On the one side we have baboons, lions, elephants, buffaloes, and giraffes; on the other spider-monkeys, pumas, tapirs, anteaters, and sloths; while among birds, the hornbills, turacos, orioles, and honeysuckers of Africa contrast strongly with the toucans, macaws, chatterers, and hummingbirds of America.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.