One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An individual having two identical alleles of a particular gene or genes and so breeding true for the corresponding characteristic.Compare with heterozygote
- ‘Similarly, inbreeding decreases the effective size of selection but unmasks deleterious alleles in homozygotes.’
- ‘Instead, they are directly related to the allele frequency of the homozygote tested and the sample size.’
- ‘This is because inbred individuals are more likely to express deleterious alleles as homozygotes than are outbreds.’
- ‘For example, in inbred populations there may be very few heterozygotes but several different homozygotes.’
- ‘Expression in heterozygotes and homozygotes is apparently identical.’
- ‘The eye color of homozygotes and heterozygotes was compared in flies of the same age and sex.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.