One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Having equal or constant electrical polarity.
- ‘In order for the homopolar motor to fully exploit the advantages of reduced size and weight, the field coils must be superconducting.’
- ‘When I was trying to understand homopolar machines recently, it was wonderful to find your ‘balancing D-cell’ homopolar motor at the end of this page.’
- ‘The magnetizing flux of a hybrid motor flows along the rotor axis, while the mechanism for rotor suspension is the same as that of the homopolar magnetic bearing.’
- ‘Here is about as simple a motor as you can get - the old homopolar motor.’
- ‘Here, I survey the results of our investigation of the atomic structure of dislocation cores in homopolar semiconductors.’
- 1.1 (of an electric generator) producing direct current without the use of commutators.
- ‘I currently have measured results from a simple homopolar design I am using to experiment with.’
- ‘Figure 1 is a sectioned isometric view showing a homopolar generator.’
- ‘Each roller magnet in the Searl device is a small homopolar generator and the entire set of rollers create a radial Lorentz force too.’
- ‘Since then, brush gear has been designed, manufactured and installed, and large-scale tests have been made with this gear in the homopolar generator.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.