Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A suspension of cell fragments and cell constituents obtained when tissue is homogenized.
- ‘Analysis of metabolites in whole tissue homogenates is, therefore, of limited value as this provides only an average of the contribution made by many different types of cell.’
- ‘Therefore, we used Western analysis to determine the relative contents of these contractile proteins in whole lung homogenates.’
- ‘The spectra of the two homogenates of the same tissue type from the biopsy samples of each patient were averaged to obtain a single spectrum.’
- ‘Free amino compounds were extracted from tissue homogenates according to the procedure described by Shaul and Galili.’
- ‘Plasma membrane vesicles were purified from root homogenates using the sucrose gradient or two-phase partitioning procedure as previously described.’
- ‘The number of colonies of the three plates was added and this number was used to determine the ratio of each mutant to the wild-type control within the homogenate from each animal.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.