One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An amino acid which occurs in the body as an intermediate in the metabolism of methionine and cysteine.
Chemical formula: HSCH₂CH₂CH(NH₂)COOH
- ‘Levels of homocysteine, the amino acid linked to heart disease, are also higher in smokers.’
- ‘In some individuals, plasma levels of the amino acid homocysteine are abnormally high.’
- ‘Studies suggest that raised levels of the amino acid homocysteine are associated with reduced brain performance.’
- ‘It also lowers the levels of amino acid homocysteine which, when found in high levels in the bloodstream, is linked to an increased risk of heart disease.’
- ‘Metabolism of homocysteine requires an adequate supply of folic acid.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.