An amino acid that occurs in the body as an intermediate in the metabolism of methionine and cysteine.
- ‘Metabolism of homocysteine requires an adequate supply of folic acid.’
- ‘In some individuals, plasma levels of the amino acid homocysteine are abnormally high.’
- ‘It also lowers the levels of amino acid homocysteine which, when found in high levels in the bloodstream, is linked to an increased risk of heart disease.’
- ‘Levels of homocysteine, the amino acid linked to heart disease, are also higher in smokers.’
- ‘Studies suggest that raised levels of the amino acid homocysteine are associated with reduced brain performance.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.