Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A primate of a group that includes humans, their fossil ancestors, and the anthropoid apes.
- ‘The evolutionary trajectory of hominoids is intimately bound up with the exploitation of ripe, fleshy fruits.’
- ‘All extant hominoids with the exception of highland gorillas are strongly frugivorous.’
- ‘A first look at the jaw shows that it's different from all other fossil hominoids and more similar to large, existing apes.’
- ‘The fossil record is replete with evidence supporting a plant-eating, basically frugivorous way of life for ancestral anthropoids, particularly hominoids.’
- ‘Fruit sugars have been the primary source of dietary energy for hominoids over most or all of their entire evolutionary past.’
Relating to hominoid primates.
- ‘At present, there seems little evidence to support a view of selection specifically for ethanol detection or its utilization over the course of hominoid evolution.’
- ‘Overall, this pattern of selective pressure along the gene seems to have remained constant during hominoid evolution.’
- ‘The remainder of the volume consists of quite thorough summaries split into five major fossil groups: prosimians, New World monkeys, Old World monkeys, hominoid primates, and human ancestors.’
- ‘Fruit-eating also characterized a number of now extinct hominoid lineages.’
- ‘Right from the very first poster, visitors are thrown back millions of years to Africa, the only continent to yield a relatively continuous record of hominoid evolution.’
Early 20th century: from Latin homo, homin- human being + -oid.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.