One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person who works from home, especially doing low-paid piecework.
- ‘The researchers will also be giving information and support to homeworkers who want to try to fight for their right to the minimum wage.’
- ‘But some technological changes resulted in new forms of homework or a greater demand for certain traditional tasks performed by homeworkers.’
- ‘The Government promised over six years ago to sign the International Labour Organisation's convention on homeworkers' rights.’
- ‘As several homeworkers remarked during in-depth interviews, they felt reaffirmed as independent and powerful people, as household heads, as mothers who were successful in keeping their families together.’
- ‘In 1999, he documented the experiences of 30 homeworkers in a report that shattered the then-popular image of homework as a stress-free and more flexible alternative to full-time office or factory work.’
- ‘Women are disproportionately employed in the so-called atypical workforce of part-timers, temporary workers, and homeworkers.’
- ‘It is estimated 70 per cent of garment workers are women, working in factories, sweatshops, or as homeworkers.’
- ‘We homeworkers must adapt to our surroundings.’
- ‘The essential tool was the sewing machine, which was relatively cheap, so little or no capital was required to set up a small workshop and also find homeworkers.’
- ‘Some employers have been using the system to cheat homeworkers out of their hard-earned cash, but this should make it more difficult to do so.’
- ‘We know compliance is a problem in this sector but these amendments should help ensure that homeworkers are finally able to receive the full level of the national minimum wage.’
- ‘Research is showing that higher productivity levels are achieved by homeworkers.’
- ‘The government needs to look at the status of homeworkers as they have no protection at the moment.’
- ‘In some cases, trade unions have begun to organise homeworkers; in others, non-governmental organisations have been set up in the form of networks or cooperatives.’
- ‘Freelancers and homeworkers can also lose the habits of deference that oil the wheels of office life.’
- ‘In its heyday, the garment industry became the leading employer of homeworkers.’
- ‘Some vendors may provide automatic patch updating for home users, and such systems may be appropriate for updating your mobile workforce and remote homeworkers with the latest security fixes.’
- ‘‘One of our primary aims this year is to ensure that the government gives the employment status of homeworkers the attention that it deserves,’ she said.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.