Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A home run.
- ‘Famously, he hit a home run in his first at-bat, the only homer of his career.’
- ‘Could you put together a list of players who hit 20 or more homers with the lowest batting average in one season?’
- ‘Adrian Beltre hit a three-run homer, his 45th home run of the season, in the third inning off Jason Marquis for a 5-4 Dodger lead.’
- ‘He hit a homer over the right field wall to give us the lead.’
- ‘If these estimates are close, Williams would have ranked only behind Hank Aaron and Babe Ruth in lifetime homers.’
2A homing pigeon.
- ‘The homers flap about and waddle towards the door.’
- ‘Keep your homers in the pen for a few weeks before you let them out for the first time.’
- ‘A racing homer can average 40 miles per hour or more under normal conditions, but they have reached speeds of 60 miles per hour and faster.’
- ‘He maintains one of the world's best known teams of racing homers at the Royal Lofts, Sandringham.’
3informal A referee or official who is thought to favor the team playing at home.
- ‘I was tired, having played two games just before that one, the ref was a homer,’
- ‘Referees do seem to be homers but they are only human.’
- ‘Luckily for him, the referee is a complete homer so he gets away with it both times.’
- ‘‘I probably shouldn't call referees homers, but I think generally they bend a little bit to the home side and may be pressured by the crowd,’ he explained.’
Hit a home run.‘he homered for the sixth time in seven games’
- ‘He homered twice against Colorado in the game before the All-Star break, then hit another against Arizona last Friday.’
- ‘Well, Youks made his major league debut a few weeks back, homering in his first game.’
- ‘Jason Varitek and David McCarty also homered for the Red Sox, hitting solo shots off Lance Carter in the eighth.’
- ‘He also homered 26 times with the bases empty, 19 times with one runner on base, and four times and two runners on base.’
- ‘He came within several feet of homering in his first big-league at-bat, his first-inning double hitting halfway up the wall in right-center July 16 against the Mariners.’
(8th century bc), Greek epic poet. He is traditionally held to be the author of the "Iliad" and the "Odyssey", although modern scholarship has revealed the place of the Homeric poems in a preliterate oral tradition. In later antiquity, Homer was regarded as the greatest poet, and his poems were constantly used as a model and source by others.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.