One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A home run.
- ‘Adrian Beltre hit a three-run homer, his 45th home run of the season, in the third inning off Jason Marquis for a 5-4 Dodger lead.’
- ‘He hit a homer over the right field wall to give us the lead.’
- ‘If these estimates are close, Williams would have ranked only behind Hank Aaron and Babe Ruth in lifetime homers.’
- ‘Could you put together a list of players who hit 20 or more homers with the lowest batting average in one season?’
- ‘Famously, he hit a home run in his first at-bat, the only homer of his career.’
2A homing pigeon.
- ‘He maintains one of the world's best known teams of racing homers at the Royal Lofts, Sandringham.’
- ‘A racing homer can average 40 miles per hour or more under normal conditions, but they have reached speeds of 60 miles per hour and faster.’
- ‘The homers flap about and waddle towards the door.’
- ‘Keep your homers in the pen for a few weeks before you let them out for the first time.’
3informal A referee or official who is thought to favor the team playing at home.
- ‘Luckily for him, the referee is a complete homer so he gets away with it both times.’
- ‘Referees do seem to be homers but they are only human.’
- ‘‘I probably shouldn't call referees homers, but I think generally they bend a little bit to the home side and may be pressured by the crowd,’ he explained.’
- ‘I was tired, having played two games just before that one, the ref was a homer,’
Hit a home run.‘he homered for the sixth time in seven games’
- ‘He also homered 26 times with the bases empty, 19 times with one runner on base, and four times and two runners on base.’
- ‘He came within several feet of homering in his first big-league at-bat, his first-inning double hitting halfway up the wall in right-center July 16 against the Mariners.’
- ‘Jason Varitek and David McCarty also homered for the Red Sox, hitting solo shots off Lance Carter in the eighth.’
- ‘He homered twice against Colorado in the game before the All-Star break, then hit another against Arizona last Friday.’
- ‘Well, Youks made his major league debut a few weeks back, homering in his first game.’
(8th century BC), Greek epic poet. He is traditionally held to be the author of the Iliad and the Odyssey, although modern scholarship has revealed the place of the Homeric poems in a preliterate oral tradition. In later antiquity, Homer was regarded as the greatest poet, and his poems were constantly used as a model and source by others.
Homer sometimes nods
proverb Even the most gifted person occasionally makes mistakes.
- ‘If any such thing should occur, I can only plead, in the words of Horace, that ‘good Homer sometimes nods’, or, as the bishop put it, ‘Not even the youngest curate in my diocese is infallible.’’
- ‘As a result, I have tended to steer clear of the play, thinking that, if Homer sometimes nods (as the old saying has it), then here at any rate, Shakespeare was deeply asleep!’
- ‘It serves no useful purpose for the writer to remind himself that ‘even Homer sometimes nods.’’
- ‘Perhaps, endowed as he was with such excellent powers of perception, he should have sensed the presence of an enemy; but ‘even the worthy Homer sometimes nods’.’
- ‘Yes, it was created by top, well loved developers but even Homer sometimes nods, and he has here.’
- ‘I'd comfort myself with our old prep school saying, quandoque bonus dormitat Homerus, ‘even the worthy Homer sometimes nods.’’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.