One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The treatment of disease by minute doses of natural substances that in a healthy person would produce symptoms of disease.Often contrasted with allopathy
- ‘Ayurvedic medicine and homoeopathy are popular in India.’
- ‘This is radical, for in homeopathy, there are two schools of thought - low dose versus high dose.’
- ‘In homeopathy, dosage is minute and symptoms are meant to intensify as part of the self-healing process.’
- ‘Using homeopathy and a range of other natural treatments, Pat set out on a journey of recovery that was to see her body go from strength to strength.’
- ‘For this reason, many people turn to complementary therapies such as homeopathy, acupuncture and herbal remedies.’
- ‘She places a lot of faith in homoeopathy and alternative medicines.’
- ‘We can see how acupuncture, homoeopathy and herbalism might be tested.’
- ‘Although homeopathy has met with skepticism in the past, recent research is now proving that it works quite well.’
- ‘The approach of treating the patient in a holistic manner allows homoeopathy to treat many diseases where conventional medical treatment does not have much to offer.’
- ‘She had tried homeopathy, colonic irrigation, aloe vera and reflexology.’
- ‘The power of homeopathy never ceases to amaze me.’
- ‘He has also trained in homeopathy and is interested in all forms of complementary medicine.’
- ‘The whole community has access to acupuncture, herbal medicine and homeopathy, even if on a crude level.’
- ‘He practises a multi-therapy system using acupuncture with homoeopathy and nutritional therapy to treat chronic diseases.’
- ‘Like homeopathy, it treats the whole person rather than just the ailment.’
- ‘Despite homoeopathy's popularity with patients, orthodox medicine has had the upper hand in terms of institutional support, research funding, and strong evidence of effectiveness.’
- ‘It is also important to heal the individual from within, if this is where the problem originates, using, for example, homeopathy.’
- ‘She's also tried homoeopathy, meditation and colour therapy as well as conventional drugs.’
- ‘Like homeopathy, most alternative therapies are closer to mysticism than to medicine.’
- ‘The first principle of homoeopathy is that you find a substance that causes the symptoms you are experiencing.’
Early 19th century: coined in German from Greek homoios ‘like’ + patheia (see -pathy).
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.