One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Any of a class of closely similar sequences which occur in various genes and are involved in regulating embryonic development in a wide range of species.
- ‘A homeobox gene involved in setting up the mammalian body plan also appears to control grooming behavior in mice.’
- ‘Comparisons of the roles of homeobox genes in metazoan development are playing a pivotal role in the current resynthesis of developmental and evolutionary biology.’
- ‘He and his group have discovered the homeobox, a DNA segment characteristic for homeotic genes which is not only present in arthropods and their ancestors, but also in vertebrates up to man.’
- ‘Because of their fundamental importance in development, homeobox genes are of substantial interest to evolutionary biologists as they may provide key information on the evolution of development.’
- ‘Black vertical lines indicate the typical homeobox gene family and gray vertical lines the atypical homeobox gene family.’
1980s: from homeotic (see homeosis) + the noun box; first discovered in homeotic genes of Drosophila fruit flies.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.