One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
nounUS, South African
1A young female acquaintance from one's own town or neighborhood, or from the same social background.
companion, boon companion, bosom friend, best friend, close friend, intimate, confidante, confidant, familiar, soul mate, alter ego, second self, shadow, playmate, playfellow, classmate, schoolmate, workmate, ally, comrade, associateView synonyms
- ‘It was actually before I began to record, when my homegirls and I were getting together and writing songs.’
- ‘New York being a territorial town, shouts out for ‘Brooklyn in the house’ bring a deafening response while more partisan sections cheer on favourites with a lusty roar of ‘Go homegirl!’’
- ‘She was once the toughest girls around and, according to her homegirls, she still was.’
- ‘He said hello to my homegirl who was actually his sister and held out his hand for me to take.’
- ‘This little homegirl is a star in the making - she is reserved, business-like and seems wise beyond her years.’
- ‘Score instinctively grabbed his young homegirl's arm, and ducked behind the protective metals of the stolen black Cadillac.’
- 1.1 (especially among urban black people) a female member of a peer group or gang.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.