Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A series of consecutive games played at a team's home stadium, field, or court.
- ‘Atlanta completed a disastrous home stand by losing four out of five to the Lookouts and splitting a four-game series with Knoxville.’
- ‘The Big Cats opened their three-game home stand against the Elephants in Tainan last Thursday with an impressive 5-0 shutout win, thanks to a brilliant performance by American veteran pitcher Don Lemon.’
- ‘In Friday's game, during his last at-bat of the first game of the home stand against the A's, it started.’
- ‘This game is the second in a two-game home stand for SFU.’
- ‘Snow did tie a season-high with 19 points in helping the Sixers beat Michael Jordan and the Wizards in the nation's capital after looking horrendous in a six-game home stand.’
- ‘Losing 3-1 was certainly not the start to a four-game home stand that the Warriors wanted.’
- ‘The Lions will open a three-game home stand in Tainan against the Chinatrust Whales, where Lions closer Michael Garcia is set to reach the 20-save plateau.’
- ‘The Warriors continue their home stand this weekend when they host the Western Mustangs.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.