Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A fair hit that allows the batter to make a complete circuit of the bases without stopping and score a run.
- ‘There have been just ten other center fielders who have hit 40 home runs in a single season.’
- ‘Could you list the top three or four players who have hit the most home runs and stolen the most bases in the same season?’
- ‘Bonds is the only player in major league to have hit 500 home runs and stolen 500 bases.’
- ‘It was quite a comedown for a former super star with 446 career major league home runs.’
- ‘Larry had hit a home run in that World Series game and Gromek had been the winning pitcher.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.