An area over which an animal or group of animals regularly travels in search of food or mates, and that may overlap with those of neighboring animals or groups of the same species.
- ‘Males often breed with several females, probably those whose home ranges overlap with their own.’
- ‘Males often have overlapping home ranges and compete for access to estrous females; both males and females are generally solitary.’
- ‘They are solitary animals with relatively small home ranges.’
- ‘African wild dogs in the Serengeti have large overlapping home ranges, with males recruited into the pack and females dispersing as juveniles.’
- ‘I knew that leopards were present in small numbers and using very large, overlapping home ranges.’