One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
plural nounNorth American
Fried sliced potatoes.
- ‘She set a plate of scrambled eggs, sausage, and home fries down in front of me.’
- ‘These are followed by a choice of bistro style sandwiches, and then sausages with home fries, potato salad or French-fries.’
- ‘Fries were also ho-hum - better to choose the buttery mashed potatoes or crispy home fries.’
- ‘The menu for the brunch includes hot cakes, sausage, home fries, scrambled eggs, biscuits 'n sausage gravy, meat loaf, potato casserole, fresh fruit, pastries and beverage.’
- ‘Along with rice, it was served with a salad and home-fried potatoes, which he found really good with some smoky salsa.’
- ‘A hiker requires calories, and I have saved up breakfast for just this moment: an oval platter of peameal bacon, home fries, eggs and toast appears on the counter, fresh from the grill.’
- ‘The side of home fries was abandoned after the first forkful.’
- ‘The diner was crowded requiring a relatively long wait but my breakfast was near perfect - good OJ and coffee, unblemished scrambled eggs, hot tasty home fries, warm biscuits and bacon exactly as ordered.’
- ‘I'm not much of a pancake eater anyway, and it's really hard to mess up eggs and home fries.’
- ‘When the waiter came I asked if the omelettes came with home fries.’
- ‘He orders New York steak, rare, two eggs, poached, and home fries.’
- ‘I had a Mexican omelet, which was somewhat good, although I would have liked hash browns instead of home fries.’
- ‘The chicken is served with a choice of home fries, baked potatoes or rice and black beans.’
- ‘My dish came with home fries, which I expected would be homemade French fries, but discovered are in fact a dish of boiled and diced potatoes, fried in a skillet with onions.’
- ‘It is a big English style breakfast with eggs, back bacon, sausage, tomatoes, home fries, toast and tea or coffee refills.’
- ‘‘I'll have a triple stack of pancakes with a side of bacon, toast, and home fries,’ said Brack, eyeing me deviously.’
- ‘They ended up at a diner, where Eric ordered scrambled eggs, and Brian had the Breakfast Combo, fried eggs with bacon, sausage and home fries.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.