One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
clergyman, clergywoman, priest, churchman, churchwoman, man of the cloth, woman of the cloth, man of god, woman of god, cleric, minister, preacher, chaplain, fatherView synonyms
- ‘When I was in the Air Force, we called our chaplain a "Holy Joe."’
- 1.1 A sanctimonious or pious person.
- ‘Now I am not painting John as a Holy Joe, it is just that the lad is sensible.’
- ‘Now do you really think that a Holy Mary would violate Gods Word?’
- ‘"He was a bit of a holy Joe, to be honest, but everyone liked him," said a contemporary at Trinity. "One of his best pals was the college chaplain."’
Late 19th century: originally nautical slang.
Holy Joe/ˈˌhōlē ˈjō/
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.