One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A city held sacred by the adherents of a religion.
- ‘The gospels record two occasions when Jesus wept: at the tomb of Lazarus and when he saw the holy city Jerusalem.’
- ‘Pressed to name the world's most visited holy cities, one might think of Mecca or Jerusalem.’
- ‘The final pillar, for those who are in good health and can afford to do so, is to make the pilgrimage to the holy city of Mecca.’
- ‘The pilgrims are expected to visit the holy city of Mecca, which is regarded as one of the most revered religious destinations on Earth.’
- ‘Inside the holy city there is no place for blame and accusation.’
- ‘Today most pilgrims come to see the pope and are only dimly aware of the relics of saints that are to be found in churches scattered throughout the holy city.’
- ‘Until the discovery of oil it was a poor desert state whose only wealth came from the pilgrimages to the holy cities of Mecca and Medina.’
- ‘Thus, Christians felt they had to free the holy city from Muslim control.’
- ‘And Friday is the first day of the Shiite religious festival of Arbayeen, which will bring hundreds of thousands of Shiite pilgrims to the Iraqi holy cities of Najaf and Karbala.’
- ‘However, Salt Lake City is a holy city for Mormons, and the Black Hills of South Dakota and other places are sacred native American sites.’
- ‘Well it's been a relatively peaceful Easter celebration in the holy city of Jerusalem.’
- ‘Something about his efforts to clean up the holy city has drawn him closer to Krishna.’
- ‘Most Pakistani Americans are devout Muslims, who pray five times a day facing the direction of the holy city of Mecca.’
- ‘Pilgrimage was a regular feature for us, because to vacation in the hills of Musoorie and Simla, one had to pass these holy cities.’
- ‘The fifth Pillar is the Hajj, the pilgrimage to the holy city of Mecca in Saudi Arabia, which every Muslim must make at some time in his or her life.’
- ‘Mecca is the holy city of Islam because it is where the prophet Mohammed first preached his teachings from God.’
- ‘Haridwar is one of the seven holy cities of India.’
- ‘Only two years before, the holy city of Makkah had been peacefully taken over and had been cleansed of idolatry and all evil practices.’
- ‘Revenues from the pilgrimage to the two holy cities of Mecca and Medina were falling as pilgrim numbers dwindled.’
- 1.1 Jerusalem.
- 1.2 (in Christian tradition) Heaven.
- ‘As Christ descends he raises all the righteous dead, and with the living saints they ascend to the Holy City in heaven.’
- ‘Around Zion, the Holy City where God our Father sits on the throne, is an area called paradise.’
- ‘We are further emboldened in our outreach by John's vision of the Holy City of God.’
holy city/ˈhōlē ˈsidē/
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.